Wednesday, April 27, 2005

unraveling

A Nikon Coolpix 2100 digital camera is on it's way! (Where are you Brown?) My apologies to everyone who thought I was going to simply disappear. When a few different readers suggested taking up a collection to buy a new camera, I figured I better get my bottom in gear and start posting.

I've had Weezer's "Undone-The Sweater Song" in my head all day as I've been busy happily unraveling a gigantic hand-crocheted poncho I found at the Goodwill. It is providing me with a wealth of beautiful yarn (six balls so far with more to come). My frugal nature and commitment to reuse attracted me to the salvaging of yarn, but my previous experiences have been less than positive. Primarily, it is difficult to find a knitted garment appropriate for unraveling. Most have serged seams, are too worn, or are made of an undesirable acrylic yarn. Even with a sweater that looks like a good candidate, the process is tedious and aggravating with only moments of bliss when the yarn flows freely. This poncho, however, was a breeze.

If you'd like to give it a try, here's a good tutorial.