Tuesday, April 19, 2005

apron strings

There is something about putting on an apron that makes me feel like getting things done. I have collected quite a few vintage aprons over the years, and I love to wear them all. They are a ritual, "I'm putting on my apron; let's get to work!". They are also practical, providing me with pockets, protecting my clothing from splashes, acting as a hand towel, folding up to carry loads of tiny toys across the house.
Here is my "lucky" apron.

It's always been one of my favorites, but it became "lucky" last Christmas Eve. I used to have a children's resale business and held periodic sales at my house. I had my last sale in November and wore my apron to hold supplies and serve as my cash box. I was slightly disappointed with sales at the end of the day, but didn't give it much thought. Fast forward to Christmas Eve. I put on "lucky" to do some baking and reached in to find a stack of checks in one of the pockets! I abandoned my baking and ran out to deposit the checks in the ATM and grab a few more gifts for my husband. Now I smile everytime I tie "lucky" around my waist.